In the Faculty of Sciences
The Faculty of Sciences makes available the following support and orientation mechanism for the students enrolled in our centre:
The Welcome Ceremony for the new students of 1st year takes place at the beginning of the academic year in order to present the centre and its collegiate bodies, the academic organization, the mentoring action programme, the mobility programmes, …
In this act the staff from the Library, the Sport Service, and the International Relations Office will also participate, in order to present the offered services and the main programmes that they manage.
The Launch Ceremony for the students in 2nd, 3rd and 4th year of the bachelor’s degrees take place during the first week of the academic year.
In this ceremony, the coordinator of each year informs, mainly, about the different subjects of the year. It is also promoted the participation of the students in the different mobility and volunteering programmes. The importance of taking part in the decision-making bodies of the centre and the university, and in the processes of satisfaction evaluation is highlighted, as these are two key instruments for improvement.
Mentoring Action Programme
The Mentoring Action Programme of the Faculty of Sciences has been designed as a tool to design the content and execution of the different actions concerning the university mentoring for the bachelor’s and master’s degrees in the centre. It specially focuses on the new students, in order to facilitate their integration in the university life and to meet their formative and informative needs, and on the students that are finishing their degrees.
In the University of Vigo
The University of Vigo offers the following support and orientation systems for enrolled students:
Implemented for providing students with advice and orientation regarding both academic and personal issues. It targets to meet the following objectives:
- To advise students in the planning and development of their academic and professional career.
- To adequate and optimise the academic decisions, maximizing the variety of possible career opportunities.
- To increase the levels of self-esteem and personal and professional motivation.
- To improve the study habits, the organization for assignments, and to teach different study techniques to achieve greater success during the career.
The Programme of Support and Integration of Students with Special Needs was designed to make academic life easier for students with special needs, guaranteeing their right to education.
The objectives of this service are:
- To inform and orientate the future university students on:
- The access to university, cut off marks, linkage of secondary and technical schools with higher education, gateway courses, etc.
- The educative offer in the University of Vigo and in other Spanish universities.
- To inform both the current and graduated students about:
- Everything that the University of Vigo can offer during their studies.
- The possibilities of further studies once the Bachelor’s Degree has finished (Master’s Degrees, specialization courses, other studies, seminars, awards, conferences…) and also scholarships or grants convened by external institutions.
It counts on technical staff who work to:
- Provide an integral service of information, counselling and training in the area of professional orientation.
- Foster the approach to professional practices among the students.
- Its main fields of activity are:
- Management of internships in businesses and public and private institutions.
- Management of job offers.
- Orientation and individualised counselling in the job search.
- Training for work.
Its main fields of activity are:
- Management of professional internships in businesses and public and private institutions.
- Management of job offers
- Personalised counselling to develop a professional career for each profile.
- Personalised orientation and counselling in the job search.
- Group action for an active job search.
- Information and counselling for businesses and institutions in the search for the adequate university profile to perform an internship or to take a job position.
- Design and implementation of researches on different topics which affect the labour market and the employability of students.
It carries out, among others, the following activities:
- Information and advice to the University community about the several international programmes within the scope of higher education.
- Promotion and management of student and teacher mobility, both domestic and foreign, especially within the framework of programmes such as Socrates, ISEP, Ministry of Foreign Affairs scholarships and University of Vigo cooperation programmes.
- Regarding students from the University of Vigo, it provides information to the selected candidates from these programmes on documents to be submitted, on amounts granted, possible complementary aids, as well as procedures to be followed with the destination universities.
- Regarding to the teaching staff from the University of Vigo, the ORI provides information on teacher exchange programmes and international cooperation programmes.
- Regarding foreign students, the ORI manages acceptance of foreign students, prepares the foreign student guide and sends the University of Vigo information packs, with information on the different campuses and cities, reception, visas, trips, search for accommodation, registration and other study options in cooperation with staff from the International Relations Office.
- Preparation and negotiation of international cooperation agreements.
- It guarantees the University of Vigo’s presence at international education forums and meetings.
The University of Vigo holds as a priority, following the Agenda 2030, to raise awareness on the respect culture, on the equality and on the inclusion, guaranteeing that everyone on our community can carry out their academic and professional life with dignity, in a space free of male violence against women, and in an environment of the highest respect for the human rights.
The Equality Unit counts on the following resources: